May 11, 2021

Sports Legend

Chris Scott expects AFL to admit referee error after denying the late Jeremy Cameron’s mark, Sydney vs Geelong

Geelong coach Chris Scott says he expects the AFL to admit the refs erred in the dying seconds of the Cats’ loss to Sydney by failing to give Jeremy Cameron a rating.

Cameron believed he scored the ball just yards from Geelong’s goal in the dying seconds of Sydney’s 14.6 (90) to 13. 10. (88) at SCG, only for the referee to have recalled the game because of his belief that the ball did not travel the required distance.

The Cats star was stunned by the decision as the Swans clung to a thrilling victory, with the siren blaring just six seconds after the final arguments.

While Scott believed the referees had made the wrong decision, he expressed his sympathy for the officials.

“I looked at the vision and it’s clear she did (run 15 yards), but it’s a different perspective for the referee,” he said.

“He can’t go back and replay the vision. These are tough calls. Deliberate off limits is also a difficult call, there is pressure on everyone.

“I suspect they’re going to take a look at it and say, ‘The Swans did blues early, Cats did blues after that and we maybe did blues too,’ it’s sadly the game.”

Scott’s point was supported by AFL great Jordan Lewis, who told Fox Footy that Cameron’s kick was “almost 20 yards”, while Bulldogs legend Brad Johnson called it the decision to “limit”, but admitted he had “seen them paid”.

The 15-yard call wasn’t the only contentious call in the dying seconds, as Geelong captain Joel Selwood remained furious at the siren after the referees refused to pay a free kick for holding the ball after young Swans James Rowbottom dove on the ball as the mermaid went.

“If there were only 10 seconds left in the game, it’s holding the ball. They were saved by the bell. He would have known how much time was left,” Johnson said.

“It was smart from Rowbottom because he knew he had to keep the ball,” Lewis added.

“If he was out it gave Geelong a shot on goal so he ran the risk of keeping the ball and it paid off.”

Both calls threatened to eclipse what was an incredibly courageous victory from an under-endowed Swans side, who ended up 29 points short in the first half.

Geelong led by 10 points in the final quarter before the Swans scored the last two goals of the game, including game-winner Tom Papley in the final two minutes.

The Swans were led by ruckman Tom Hickey who continued his sensational season with 20 assignments and 23 hits, while Oliver Florent added 26 assignments and two goals.

With Lance Franklin and Logan McDonald away from the front, Hayden McLean proved to be Sydney’s hero with four consecutive goals, while Papley added two majors.

Geelong skipper Joel Selwood was once again excellent with 29 divestitures in the loss, while Cam Guthrie (30 divestments) and Mitch Duncan (29 divestments) continued their sensational form.

Star rookie Jeremy Cameron scored three goals in his second game for his new club, while Gary Rohan and Bradley Close were Geelong’s other multiple goal scorers.

Geelong have a tough job ahead of next week with a big final rematch with Richmond on the bridge on Friday night, while Sydney face table-leading Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday night.

For a daily dose of the best of the latest news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!