May 14, 2021

Sports Legend

Marcial formalizes security details in Batangas training camps


eruption of the taal donational volcano pba

Willie Marcial, Commissioner of the PBA. PHOTO REQUEST FILE / TRISTAN TAMAYO

Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Commissioner Willie Marcial will return to his hometown of Batangas City on Friday to meet with the mayor and his representative and discuss the final details of the PBA teams who will be traveling there to train and put on the ice. season 46 on track.

Marcial told the Enquirer that minor issues need to be addressed with Mayor Beverley Dimacuha and Representative Marvey Mariño already rolling out the red carpet for the pioneer pro cage league in Asia to use their city as camps for the 12 teams. .

“We’re going to be discussing mainly security protocols, security, these things,” Marcial said over the phone. “And certainly there won’t be any fans who can watch the team’s practice.”

Part of the protocols that Marcial will propose is a grace period of 30 to 40 minutes between the teams for their practices so that the staff of the city of Batangas can disinfect the premises.

There are at least three acceptable playing fields, which can accommodate the PBA teams: the Coliseum of Batangas, the gymnasium of the State University of Batangas and even the courts of the high school and the University of Batangas, Dimacuha and Mariño even offering the sites for free.

“I told them we cannot accept this,” Marcial said. “Because we’ll be using electricity and other people every time a team trains. So we cannot accept this, although we are really grateful for this offer. “

The PBA is still looking to open in early June to save two conferences for its 46th season, although that depends on how the rate of infections in the country declines over the next few weeks.

It was part of the conditions Marcial and Barangay Ginebra team representative Alfrancis Chua secured when they went to Malacañang last week to appeal the league season.

April 9 was the supposed opening before a new wave of infections brought the country to its knees as another government-ordered lockdown was ordered in the national capital region and four surrounding provinces.

Marcial said another bubble is still not out of the equation. Although costly, this could be the court of last resort for the PBA, with Ilocos Norte, through Gov. Matthew Manotoc, offering his province for this purpose.

—MUSONG R. CASTILLO INQ

Read more

Don’t miss the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download from 4 a.m. and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For comments, complaints or inquiries, contact us.