Euro 2020 LIVE: England set up against Ukraine and team news as Jadon Sancho prepares to start quarter-finals tonight

Euro2020: English fans sing Three Lions after Germany’s victory

Follow all the latest news and get ready for the Euro 2020 quarter-finals as the Czech Republic faces Denmark in Baku and England faces Ukraine in Rome.

It was an exciting day as Spain booked their place in the semi-finals after a penalty shootout victory over Switzerland as Italy beat Belgium in an entertaining match in Munich. The Three Lions are in the final eight of the tournament after goals from Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane booked their passage safely to the delight of a noisy Wembley stadium. Gareth Southgate’s team are now the bookies’ favorite to win the tournament.

Southgate believes a short trip away from Wembley will benefit his team and their chances of glory at Euro 2020: are already talking about the next game and the need to prepare well, ”Southgate said. So we quickly changed our mindset on this next challenge. We pulled off a challenge, but it’s not really Everest that we set our sights on. We want to continue where we are now.

“I think psychological freshness is the key. We obviously also have a strong team. It’s actually, for us, probably a good thing to go now. It would have been very difficult, three days later, to reproduce this experience at Wembley. So now we have a different kind of test. We have to leave home, play a good team, without a lot of English fans in the stadium, so everything revolves around our squad, everything revolves around our team and what we do, and energy and the focus that we create. “

Follow all the latest updates on England’s quarter-finals in Rome, as well as preparations for the kick-off between Czech Republic and Denmark in Baku, Azerbaijan.

1625305998

Italy builds on a rich heritage and time is running out for Belgium’s golden generation

Mancini’s freewheeling side charmed with his offensive talent, marrying the young talents of Bugsy Malone with grizzled veterans defending the back. The first brought a unique verve to the Azurri. The latter a foundation based on traditional strengths, and this is what confirmed his semi-final with Spain on Tuesday. It wasn’t pretty, especially the last 20 minutes, at odds with how they’ve performed in this tournament and even the previous 70.

Naturally, football fans on social media have taken up residence in one of two camps – “big joke” and “big shame”. The clip of Ciro Immobile’s miraculous recovery from injury after Nicolo Barella scored in Italy’s opener has been around the houses. Gianluigi Donnarumma was congratulated / ridiculed for accumulating so many seconds in goal. “Classic Italy” the feeling, in two very distinct tones.

Jack rathbornJuly 3, 2021 10:53 AM

1625305367

Gascoigne: Southgate has the answer for everything for us

“The bottom line is that as many English fans as possible come to the game and, most importantly, support Gareth,” Gascoigne told The Sun.

“He is the answer to everything for us, and we have to believe in him.

“I know Gareth well and we’re still good friends so I know he has what it takes to take us all the way. He is the key.

“Gareth is amazing and a great mate. I spoke to him quite recently before the tournament.

“We have always kept in touch. When we played together he was an amazing teammate but also a brilliant guy off the pitch.

“He’s always been good to me on a personal level. He is very accessible. He understands people and he understands football. He’s a smart guy.

“He’s also very proud of his role with England, which he should be. It’s the ultimate job for a soccer man, and he really deserves it. “

Jack rathbornJuly 3, 2021 10:42 AM

1625303188

Martinez sadness at the exit of Belgium at Euro 2020

“The feelings are what you can really imagine, the sadness and disappointment because I don’t think these players deserve to be left out of this tournament.

“They have done an incredible job to prepare, to be ready, to go step by step every day since the start of the tournament. Today we played against a very good team and unfortunately the margins weren’t in our favor. “

Asked about his own future, Martinez added: “It is very difficult to talk about anything other than defeat and the fact that we are out of the Euro. At the moment it’s still too raw and I don’t want to say anything that might be touching. “

(Getty)

Jack rathbornJuly 3, 2021 10:06 AM

1625303114

Mancini on Italy’s victory over Belgium

“The team progressed game after game. Even when there have been tough games, the team has always improved – and there is still room for improvement.

“That’s what I saw in my squad, the desire to play well, to try to bounce back from the disappointment of not qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, it was all these ingredients. But we can still do better.

“First and foremost we will go to Wembley knowing that we are a team that can still offer a lot in this tournament.

“We know that we will again face top-notch opposition because Spain, like Belgium, are very difficult opponents.

“But it’s very important that we rest before this semi-final and prepare for it.”

Jack rathbornJuly 3, 2021 10:05 AM

1625301493

De Bruyne played against Italy with a ligament tear

“For me personally, it’s been a strange four or five weeks. But above all, I want to thank the medical staff, ”he said.

“It was a miracle that I played today because my ankle was definitely damaged. A tear in my ligaments. But I felt responsible for playing for my country today. Too bad I can’t do more.

“It was a tough tournament for us, we suffered a lot of injuries. We fought to the end. Italy were better than us in the first half, but in the second we created more chances. We could have made it 2-2 but we didn’t.

“We lost to a top-notch team. We will try to win next time at the World Cup, but first I have to recover physically. I’ve had too many problems (with injuries) in recent years but I’ve always tried to give my all for the team. “

Jack rathbornJuly 3, 2021 09:38

1625300954

Insigne attributes Italy’s success to Mancini’s ‘fun’ atmosphere

“I’m having a lot of fun. I’ve never played with such a big smile on my face, it’s like playing with my friends at home when I play during the week, ”said the Napoli star.

“The head coach deserves the credit for that because he really allowed us to produce our best football. And everyone, including me, really plays with a smile on their face. And that’s our secret.

“I’m very happy for the team as a whole because we are proving that we are a great team and the head coach deserves a lot of credit for that. We just need to get started because we haven’t accomplished anything yet. We still have a long way to go.

“We have to start … we haven’t accomplished anything yet. We have to make that last effort, keep our heads down and graft. “

Jack rathbornJuly 3, 2021 09:29

(AFP)

Ukrainian players train at Stadio Olimpico in Rome

(AFP)

Jack rathbornJuly 3, 2021 09:26

1625300605

Denmark must play fearless football against Czech Republic, coach insists

Denmark manager Kasper Hjulmand is confident his side can continue to play without fear as they try to move closer to repeating the feat of their 1992 predecessors.

The Danes grew in stature as Euro 2020 progressed after their horrific start when Christian Eriksen collapsed with cardiac arrest in their first loss to Finland.

They are heading to a quarter-final against the Czech Republic in Baku after scoring four times in each of their last two games and Hjulmand hopes that the “courage” his players have shown will continue.

“I cannot say compared to other teams if we are playing with more freedom but I can say that an important thing in our game is to play without fear”, said the Danish coach at his press conference. ‘pre-game.

Jack rathbornJuly 3, 2021 09:23

1625300309

England v Ukraine: Tell us your expected score for Euro 2020 quarter-final clash

England will face Ukraine in their Euro 2020 quarter-final clash at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome tonight (July 3).

The Three Lions beat their former German enemies on Tuesday night at Wembley to reach the last eight and – with the semi-finals and final returning to Wembley – will aim to continue advancing in the commercial part of the competition.

Jack rathbornJuly 3, 2021 09:18

1625299476

Italian fans ready to celebrate again as Roberto Mancini’s side draw closer to historic Euro 2020 triumph

Italian football was perhaps at its lowest four years ago. The failure to qualify for the World Cup, for the first time since 1958, sparked a period of national soul-searching. Last night was a night of national extraversion. In the streets of its capital, they celebrated a rebirth.

The car horns sounded. Drunken chants to the tune of ‘Seven Nation Army’ echoed through Rome. Fans of these electric scooters scattered around the streets of all major European cities have dodged their way into traffic. It was a city – and a nation – ready to celebrate again. Because an appearance in the semi-finals undoubtedly represents success.

It’s only been nine years since Italy has progressed so far in a major tournament, but it seems longer, given the disappointments that surrounded this Euro 2012 final. There was one exit. of the group stage in 2010, another in 2014, a failure to keep its initial promises in 2016, then the nadir.

Jack rathbornJuly 3, 2021 9:04 AM