Tyson Fury tests positive for COVID-19, fight with Deontay Wilder postponed

The trilogy fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas this month was called off after Fury tested positive for COVID-19, the World Boxing Council (WBC) announced on Friday.

WBC heavyweight champion Fury signed a contract in May to fight American Wilder for the third time on July 24.

“Fury vs. Wilder III will be postponed. We wish him and Tyson Fury a speedy recovery from COVID,” the WBC said.

Fury tested positive earlier this week. A source close to the promotion said the fight will be postponed until the fall.

Fury, 32, was scheduled to face fellow Briton Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia in August in a unifying world heavyweight title fight, but a U.S. referee ordered Fury to fight Wilder again before September 15.

Fury first fought Wilder, who is now 35, in 2018 and took the WBC title from him in a rematch in February 2020 with a seventh-round stoppage.

In a time of both disinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing you can help us tell the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

PHOTO GALLERY (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

Add a Comment