English FA face UEFA fan unrest investigation in Euro 2020 final

Before kick-off, a number of supporters without tickets had tried to force the stadium.

The English FA is also facing four charges from UEFA relating to “the invasion of the field by its supporters”, throwing objects and lighting fireworks as well as ” disturbances “during the national anthem.

In a statement on Tuesday, UEFA said it had opened disciplinary proceedings against the England federation as well as a separate investigation into events involving supporters in and around Wembley during the Euro 2020 final. Sunday.

The England Football Association said on Monday it would conduct a “full review and investigation” into the security breach.

“Safety and stewarding figures for the UEFA EURO 2020 final exceeded match requirements and were higher than any previous event at Wembley Stadium,” an FA spokesperson said in a statement sent on CNN Monday.

“However, the behavior of those who illegally forced entry into the stadium was unacceptable, dangerous and showed complete disregard for the safety and security protocols in place.

“No flight attendant or security personnel should be subjected to this type of behavior and we thank them for their support through the night. We also apologize to anyone present at the match whose experience has been affected by this level. of unprecedented public disorder. “

After a follow-up email from CNN into the security breach at the London site, as well as further investigations into some of the videos showing the violence inside the ground, a Wembley Stadium spokesperson said condemned “the behavior of a group of people who forced their way to Wembley Stadium ahead of the EURO 2020 final.”

“These people are a disgrace to the England team and to all true fans who wanted to enjoy one of the most important games in our history.

Visit CNN.com/sport for more news, features and videos
A pitch invader gestures as he runs across the pitch in the Euro 2020 final.

“We will work with the relevant authorities to take action against anyone identified as having illegally forcibly entered the stadium.”

Sunday’s centerpiece was England’s first major international football final since 1966. However, Italy emerged victorious after a penalty shootout.

A total of 53 people were arrested at Wembley on Sunday. They were among 86 arrests made by Met Police for a number of London-related offenses in connection with the finale, including public order, assault, drunk and disorderly driving and criminal damage, police said in a statement.

“The unacceptable scenes we saw yesterday were those of a small number of people intending to use football as an excuse to behave in appalling ways towards other members of the public and officers,” the commissioner said. Deputy Assistant Laurence Taylor in a press release.

Add a Comment