Dragon duo barred from entering NRL bubble after refusing to confirm party details

Two St George Illawarra players have been barred from joining the NRL bubble in Queensland after refusing to confirm what happened at an illegal house party last month.

The 12 teams from NSW and Canberra will move to the Sunshine State for four weeks as part of the NRL’s plan to keep the competition going amid a worsening COVID-19 outbreak in Sydney.

The dozen or so players from St George Illawarra who broke NRL biosecurity rules by attending a party at Paul Vaughan’s house earlier this month have been allowed to re-enter the bubble if they verify a statement on what’s going on. had passed.

However, the club have said that at this point the duo Zac Lomax and Daniel Alvaro will not be traveling north with their teammates.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo has confirmed the couple were barred from traveling to Queensland after refusing to verify details of what happened at the party.

“[It] demanded a number of things, some confirming information they had already given us in writing, some relating to tests and other things, ”Abdo said.

“Ten have finished [the process] and are now part of the bubble and will rise again on Wednesday.

“Those [who] have not, will not be [travel]. “

a man speaks into a microphone
NRL general manager Andrew Abdo said the possibility for players to enter the bubble in the future was “not a priority”. (

ABC News

)

Lomax and Alvaro were among a dozen freshman squad players who were fined and suspended for violating stay-at-home orders by attending the party Paul Vaughan hosted at his home from Shellharbour.

Some senior players – including Jack de Belin and Corey Norman – have faced heavy financial penalties for misleading the NRL Integrity Unit about who attended the party.

The Dragons imposed additional fines on the players involved and terminated Vaughan’s contract, while the NRL suspended Vaughan for eight games.

“All 13 players have let down the rest of their teammates, all of our hard working staff, their families, the community at large and – most importantly – our Red V members, partners and fans,” said Ryan Webb, CEO of St George, in a statement. .

The NRL were hopeful that after four weeks in Queensland the teams could return home but did not rule out the possibility that the remainder of the season could be played north of the border with New South Wales.

And the ability for players outside of the bubble to join teammates is also complicated by the requirement that players quarantine themselves for 14 days after crossing the border.

“We now have a situation where their team is located in another state, with closed borders, so there will have to be a mechanism for them like any other player who enters that bubble to quarantine themselves before joining the team again. bubble, ”Mr Abdo said.

Add a Comment