When is the NHL expansion draft? Seattle Kraken team selection date, time, rules and more
Posted On July 20, 2021
The 2021 NHL offseason has arrived and it is already in full swing. But, before the start of the usual events like the draft and free agencies, the new franchise of the NHL gets him, Kraken, the constitution of his roster.
Yes, the Seattle Kraken is officially official and it’s here to steal your favorite team player. Much like previous expansion years – most recently the Golden Knights in 2017 – the Kraken will be selecting players from all teams except Vegas.
Here’s everything you need to know as the 32nd NHL franchise begins to take shape.
MORE: Watch the NHL Expansion Draft Live with fuboTV (7 Day Free Trial)
When is the 2021 NHL expansion draft?
- Dated: Wed July 21
- Time: 8 p.m. ET
Two days before the selection of the next generation of NHL all-star, general manager Ron Francis, head coach Dave Hakstol and the staff will select 30 guys to fill their roster. The draft will take place live from Seattle.
EXPANSION PROJECT: Protected Lists | Available players
What channel is the 2021 NHL expansion draft airing on?
The draft is scheduled for July 21 starting at 8 p.m. ET. ESPN will broadcast the event live in the United States, marking the start of the network’s new contract with the NHL. Fans in Canada can see who they are losing from their squad roster on SN1.
What are the rules for the 2021 NHL expansion draft?
This year’s expansion draft follows the same rules the Golden Knights had in 2017.
Here is the breakdown.
For the 30 NHL teams:
- They can protect seven forwards, three defenders and a goalie OR eight skaters (any combination of attackers and defenders) and a goalie.
- Players who do not need protection and cannot be selected: first and second year players and unsigned draft picks.
- Any player with an immobility clause must be protected. Players can forgo it and will then be left unprotected. Since July 15, Erik Johnson of the Avalanche, the Milan Lucic of the Flames, Jeff Skinner of the Sabers and Stars Ben Bishop would have given up theirs.
- One of the exposed defensemen and both forwards must not only be under contract in 2021-22, but must have played in 27 or more games in 2021 OR played in 54 or more games in the NHL between 2019-20.
- An exposed goaltender must be under contract in 2021-2022 or be a restricted free agent pending.
- Players on the long-term injured reserve and with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 41 consecutive games (or who have otherwise been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) cannot be protected. and may also be exempt from being chosen.
MORE: Canadiens’ Shea Weber reportedly left unprotected in expansion draft, missed 2021-22 season
For the Kraken:
- They must select 30 players – at least 14 forwards, nine defenders and three goalkeepers.
- At least 20 of these players must be on contract for 2021-2022 and be worth between 60 and 100% of the upper limit ($ 81.5 million) of the salary cap.
- A selected player cannot be redeemed until next summer.
Important dates ahead of the 2021 NHL expansion draft
Friday: Deadline for players to waive their no-move clauses.
Saturday: A freeze on trades, waivers and signatures begins at 3 p.m. ET. This will run until Thursday at 1 p.m. ET. Teams must also send their protected lists by 5:00 p.m. ET to the NHL and NHLPA.
Sunday: Starting at 10 a.m.ET, the Kraken will have a maintenance period for pending AMUs / RFAs that have not been protected. The protected lists are also expected to be unveiled on Sunday.
Wednesday: The big day! But first, at 10 a.m. ET, the Kraken must submit their picks to the NHL and NHLPA.
Why are the Golden Knights exempt?
Only 30 teams will lose a player because the Golden Knights, the second-youngest team in the NHL, are exempt from this year’s expansion draft. According to ESPN’s Emily Kaplan, this was a deal that Vegas owner Bill Foley made with the NHL in 2016. Crucially, they don’t get a portion of the $ 650 million expansion fee. of Seattle dollars.