Billy Slater offered a three-year contract to coach the home state team of Queensland
Posted On September 14, 2021
The Queensland Rugby League has officially filed for a three-year contract with Billy Slater to become the Maroons’ next coach, but the Storm icon has yet to agree.
QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher told the Courier Mail the three-year offer to the 38-year-old came in the form of a two-year guarantee with an option, saying “the ball is in Billy’s court” .
READ MORE: “Priceless” moment in the Wayne Bennett-Ivan Cleary feud
While Hatcher said he was “confident” that Slater would lead Queensland in next year’s State of Origin campaign, he admitted that QRL was currently “in limbo”.
“Billy and his manager are the ones looking at all the problems so we have to wait,” he said.
“We’re pretty specific about what we’re willing to offer, it just depends on whether it’s acceptable or not and in any way, in some form or in a negotiable form.
“It’s about the only thing on the road with Billy, we can’t drag this around indefinitely and make it a Dutch auction.
“I was hoping for an answer last week. I didn’t think it would be that complicated, but I understand that managers do this for a living and that there is a market there.”
The offer comes after Slater admitted he “certainly plans” to be Queensland’s next coach.
Highest-paid NRL players of the 2021 final series
“I have family commitments and I respect the role so much that I know how much I’m going to put into the role, and I know how much that will require and the commitment that will take,” Slater said during the NRL cover of Nine. Friday .
“So it’s not just an easy decision to say ‘Yes’, but definitely [there is] some consideration there. “
For a daily dose of the best of the latest news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!