Leicester vs Burnley result: Jamie Vardy recovers from his own goal to score the double in home draw

Jamie Vardy scored an own goal but still saved a point for Leicester and made Burnley wait winless for his first win of the season.

The forward crossed his own net for the first time in his career, but his brace helped the Foxes draw 2-2. Maxwel Cornet’s goal left Burnley on the verge of his first win at Leicester in 14 years before Vardy struck five minutes from time.

Chris Wood thought he stole the points in stoppage time when he headed but the goal was correctly ruled out by VAR for offside.

The draw kept the struggling Clarets, who impressed with their defensive determination, in the Premier League drop zone while the Foxes sit in 12th place.

Matt Lowton set the tone early on when he produced a nice block to fend off Harvey Barnes when he arrived to meet Ademola Lookman’s cross. Youri Tielemans broke through before giving Vardy the start, only for the striker to head after 10 minutes.

The forward, making his 400th career appearance, should have scored and he scored his milestone in the worst possible way by giving Burnley a 12th-minute lead.

The Clarets had been brilliant going forward and when Cornet won a corner, Ashley Westwood hit it and Vardy, at the near post, glanced at the ball past his own goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.

Leicester mounted a response and Barnes tested Nick Pope from a distance as the hosts dominated the ball. Burnley held on, even though they needed Lowton in the right place to brilliantly block Vardy’s point blank range after Ricardo Pereira was cleared to deliver from the right.

The forward would have been forgiven for thinking it wasn’t his day but he came well eight minutes before the break. Referee Chris Kavanagh played a good advantage after Barnes was beaten and when Tielemans fed Vardy his first effort found the bottom corner.

Yet just three minutes later, Burnley knocked out the Foxes again when Cornet scored his first Clarets goal.

The industrious Vydra broke free on the right and his deep cross found Cornet for a nice volley in front of Schmeichel at 12 meters. But Burnley suffered a heavy blow when the Ivorian international was forced to limp shortly after due to a hamstring injury – not before being booked for wasting time after returning to the pitch for treatment.

It would have been a relief for the Foxes defense, who were still struggling without the influential Jonny Evans, who continues to struggle with a foot problem. This was recognized by Brendan Rodgers, who went three behind at the break as Timothy Castagne replaced Pereira.

Leicester, however, did not regain their composure after the restart with Schmeichel particularly guilty of poor decision-making and the fight against Burnley remained up to their threat.

James Tarkowski frustrated Vardy and Kelechi Iheanacho was introduced as Leicester tried to find a second leveler. Again, they dominated possession but failed to force Pope to make a meaningful save with Iheanacho seeing a blocked shot.

Rodgers’ decision to replace Lookman with James Maddison drew taunts from local fans to underscore their frustrations.

Tarkowski took the lead from Tielemans with seven minutes left and, as it looked like Burnley would hold on, Vardy struck again. Iheanacho cleared him to the left and, when Pope came out, the striker rounded him to equalize.

There was still time for more stoppage drama when Wood stepped in but the goal was ruled out for offside by VAR.

Add a Comment