US Open champion Emma Raducanu withdrew from this month’s Kremlin Cup, citing a “tournament schedule change”.
The 18-year-old Briton has only made one game since becoming an international star with her victory at Flushing Meadows last month, suffering a second round loss to Aliaksandra Sasnovich at the BNP Paribas Open.
Raducanu was expected to be back on the pitch during the Kremlin Cup in Moscow, which takes place October 18-24.
However, Raducanu announced on Thursday that she was unable to make the event this year and is rather looking forward to returning to the WTA Tour in the “next two weeks.”
“Unfortunately, I had to change the tournament schedule and I won’t be able to play in Moscow this year, but I hope to be in and in front of the Russian fans next year. I can’t wait to resume the tour in the next years. weeks, ”she said in a statement.
Speaking after her 6-2 6-4 loss to Belarusian Sasnovich at Indian Wells – which came 27 days after her US Open triumph – Raducanu said she had to “let go” as she accepted his new life as a grand slam champion.
She said: “I’m pretty happy that what happened today happened so that I could learn it and take it as a lesson. So in the future, I’ll just have more banking experience.
“I think it’s going to take a while for me to really adjust to what’s going on. I mean, I’m still so new to everything.
“I mean, I’m 18. I need to relax a bit. “
After Indian Wells, the world number 22 entered the Kremlin Cup and the Transylvanian Open the following week in her father’s home country, Romania.
She was also due to participate in the Upper Austria Ladies in Linz from November 6.